Friday, September 30, 2011

Four-Month Update


For those of you who didn't read the 3-month update, those numbers across the bottom are not weights, they are the total of the inches measured above them. Because I'm adding muscle, my weight did not just plummet steadily down, but my inches did, so it is way more motivating to track that number instead.


I have lost 45 inches at 5 points. Which means, that if I had laid in the street four months ago and you had drawn a chalk outline around me, and then we came back to the same place today and you drew another chalk outline around me, today's outline would be nine inches inside the four-months-ago outline!

No, wait...

I don't think it does mean that. I forgot, I'm three-dimensional.

OK, if you had dipped me into a tub of plaster four months ago... whatever, you get the point.

I'm just doing BodyPump three times a week now. It is offered four times a week, but I get one floating skip day each week. I have tricked myself into seeing this as decadent.

I watched Food Inc. and became a pescaterian. Didn't mean to, but the idea of beef or pork or chicken kind of makes me sick now. There are completely healthy ways to eat meat; I've just gotten to a point where it's not worth the effort for me personally.

I don't count calories at all anymore. I know what's smart to eat and what isn't. I eat fish and shrimp and fruits and veggies with reckless abandon. I find that I cannot eat large portions anymore, or again, I get sick.

Basically, I made all new habits. I re-trained my body to expect me to make smart choices. I actually crave poached fish. I snack on tomatoes. It's nuts. I also snack on nuts.


Four months into this, I am SO glad I did it. This is the easy part, the pay-off. But if you're just starting, don't think about four months or even one month from now. Go out this weekend and buy healthy groceries. Cook at home this week. Take a walk after dinner. Make food you like in a healthier way. Take advantage of the fall weather and do an outdoor activity you enjoy. Then, one week from today, brag on facebook about how you completed a week. Then two. Then a month. Eventually you will get over the hard part, the confusing part, the feels-like-forever part and you can coast. Maintain. Do what now comes naturally. It's cake. Hell, it's BETTER than cake!

Same jeans from month 3 to month 4 -- they fit very differently today. :)

No comments: