Thursday, August 18, 2011

Buy Locally, Vote Globally


All summer, I have been watching workers build a Sprouts store very near my house. I have been anticipating its opening for a good few months, convincing myself that with this store within walking distance of my house, I would never again give in to an unhealthy craving.  Finally, opening day arrived. Of course, the place was packed, but I expected that. It’s sort of like the running track on the first day of spring – full of people who will never be back.  

They had a great selection of produce, which is what they’re known for. Unfortunately, a lot of it was still so under-ripe, it won’t be ready to eat ‘till Rick Perry is President.



I bought one nectarine, one pear, one tomato… just to test everything out. I got three green pineapples for $1 each. In about a month, I’m gonna enjoy one really delicious afternoon when they all ripen at exactly the same moment. I expect that when things settle down and the shiny newness has worn off, I’ll be shopping here pretty regularly. I even bought a second-hand bike to get me there.



Even if you don’t have a store like Sprouts near you, you can get a week’s worth of assorted fruits and veggies at almost any grocery store. Keep an assortment around and you will be inspired to find ways to use them. One of my favorite ways to work a slew of veggies into a single meal is with a vegan chili pie.

Vegan Chili Pie
You will need:
Sweet potatoes
Yellow onion
Red onion
Corn
Black beans
Pinto beans
Kidney beans
Celery
Tomatoes
Tomato paste
Cilantro
Avocado
Limes
Jalapenos
Garlic
Morningstar Farm’s Crumbles (ground beef substitute)
Jarred hot sauce of choice
Olive oil
Salt & pepper
Other dry spices you like in chili – optional

Dice sweet potatoes and mist with olive oil or cooking spray. Bake on a cookie sheet at 400 till soft enough to mash with a fork. While that’s going, in an enamel-coated soup pot on medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the ground Crumbles. Dice both onions and add 2/3 of each to pot. Dice tomatoes and add 2/3 of them, hot sauce to taste and a small can of tomato paste to pot. Add corn, all beans and jalapenos from a can. Mince and add celery, dry seasoning, lime juice and garlic about 5 minutes before taking the chili off the heat. Layer sweet potatoes, then chili and top with onion, tomato, cilantro and avocado.



I got the idea after eating Banter’s vegetarian Frito pie a few times and making a few alterations. First, don’t use Fritos. Duh. Put roasted cubes of potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggplant, or anything hearty like that at the bottom of your bowl. Then top with vegan chili and veggies. Leave off the cheese and sour cream. You won’t miss it. The chili recipe turns out pretty spicy and the avocado adds a creamy, almost sweet layer.

Use whatever vegetables you have on hand that are fresh to make this (and every) recipe. The ingredient lists are merely suggestions. The most important thing is to get as many different veggies into this (and every) meal as possible.  Actually, that's the second most important thing. The MOST important thing is that you never, ever vote for Rick Perry.

1 comment:

Amanda Irvin said...

If you keep your under-ripe peaches/pears/mangoes next to your banana, they'll ripen up nicely in about 3 days. Apples and bananas give off some chemical (don't ask me what; i'm not a scientist) that make other fruits ripen fast. It'll also kill fresh flowers, which is why you should never buy cut flowers from a produce section. Anyway, it works. I had rock hard pears 3 days ago, and now i'm up to my neck in pear juice (weird).